Chevrolet Chevelle Forums

Chevrolet Chevelle Forums (http://chevelleforum.net/index.php)
-   Chevelle Pro-Touring (http://chevelleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   66 Project (Pro Driver?) (http://chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=4978)

67-ls1 09-11-2020 08:37 PM

66 Project (Pro Driver?)

5 Attachment(s)
In 1997 I bought a 67 convertible to use as my daily driver. Sold my Ford Ranger and went full Chevelle. In early 98 I came across an almost new but wrecked 1998 Camaro with an LS1-4L60e and without even thinking I bought it and started the swap.
At that time there were zero parts available for this swap. I would call people and they would say it couldn’t be done. I knew it could because a saw a 55 Chevy in a magazine that had an LS1 and then saw an early Impala bubble top with one at a Goodguys show.
It took me about 8 months to get it done but everything worked great. I drove that car almost 100k over the next 5 years. I sold it in 2004.
So when I got the itch again, I decided to do a 66 and go for max mpg. I started looking around for an engine and again found an almost new Camaro (2013) with a 3.6 liter V6 and a 6 speed auto. The project was on.
Here are a few pics of the beginning.
Out with the old engine/trans.
The new engine as it arrived.
First attempt at fitting it in.

67-ls1 09-11-2020 08:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Once it was determined that the engine wasn’t going to slide, I decided to remove the body and do the entire chassis.
I ended up cutting and boxing the front crossmember to clear the pan.
Then I had to build motor mounts. How many of you knew that the front crossmember mounting surfaces were 90 degrees from one another?

67-ls1 09-11-2020 09:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
As it turned out, the sides of the LFX V6 are perfectly parallel to one another. So I built a wood box the same width to start with the motor mount fabrication. Way easier than swinging the engine in and out a hundred times.
This pic is of the engine box mounted to the Camaro sub frame with the Camaro mounts. This way I knew it was correct.
I built the engine side plates out of wood and then transferred it to steel.
I tacked them together than pulled them for finish welding.

67-ls1 09-11-2020 09:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Loading up the frame to take it to be powdercoating.
Frame came back and ready to assemble.
Full stage 4 Hotchkis suspension.
Wilwood discs front and rear.

67-ls1 09-12-2020 12:35 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Having the body off made is easy to set the engine/trans. I was also able to run brake and fuel lines. Also added the 17x8 and 18x9.5 rims and tires.
The exhaust down pipes (Manifolds are built in to the heads) from the Camaro lined up perfect with the humps in the stock Chevelle crossmember. Pure luck.

67-ls1 09-12-2020 10:50 AM

5 Attachment(s)
To set the body back down I had to enlarge the transmission tunnel. The new trans is huge and mounted a little higher for ground clearance and the proper driveshaft angle.

67-ls1 09-17-2020 06:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Once the body was back on I could start with the wiring.

67-ls1 09-17-2020 07:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Wilwood master for manual brakes.
I wanted the stock Powerglide shifter so I had to make a new decent plate that matched the required throw of the 6L50e transmission.
Mock up of a power steering line.

67-ls1 09-17-2020 07:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I had to realign the upper water neck. It was aimed down in the Camaro
The drive shaft now has a CV joint on the front because the trans has no slip yoke.
The trans cooler lines from the Camaro cleared everything. I just needed to extend them a little to reach the trans cooler in front of the radiator.
New steering wheel and Dynamat.
Notice, no gauges in the dash...

67-ls1 09-17-2020 10:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Dash without gauges, ash tray or glove box.
The next owner (grandson) asking “what this is for Papa?”
Did a color change on the interior from black to red.
New seats.
Painted seat tracks to blend in more with the carpet.
Registration back on after 20 years off the road!!