Chevrolet Chevelle Forums

Chevrolet Chevelle Forums (http://chevelleforum.net/index.php)
-   Chevelle General Talk (http://chevelleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   307 swap out (http://chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=983)

136ED 06-22-2010 04:37 PM

307 swap out

I have 72 chevelle with the ss dress up option. It has the original 307 bored .30 over. Dont know what cam or heads. It doesn't have as much power as hoped, so i was wondering if it would be a bad/good idea to switch it out for a 350 with 450+ hp? Im sure people have asked this before but will it devalue my car? :confused:

Hank70SS 06-22-2010 05:58 PM

Don't believe the 72 SS was available with the 307, 350 and up were the engine options. Given that, unless your car is all original I don't think you'll hurt the resale value. Actually you'll probably improve it. If it is all original I would be hestant to change it, at least hang on to the 307 if you do go with a 350.

shadowgray396 06-22-2010 06:08 PM

307 was the base engine, no SS every came with it. It also looks like Welcome to the site is in order since that was your first post.

1971-72 saw the Z25 SS Equipment option (396 engine) dropped and only the RPO Z15 SS Equipment option remained. However, the new RPO Z15 SS equipment option did not include a specific engine size as it had in 1970. Rather, it became more of a dress-up option and could be ordered with any optional V8 engine and optional transmission; meaning either of the two 350 cubic inch engines, the 402 cubic inch engine or the 454 cubic inch engine could be ordered with the RPO Z15 SS Equipment option. Only the lone remaining 454 engine (RPO LS5) required the SS option to be ordered while the two 350 cubic inch engines and the 402 could be ordered with or without the SS option. The RPO Z15 SS Equipment option remained essentially the same for 1972.

Ray

136ED 06-22-2010 08:08 PM

Thank you for the welcome!!!
Oh i see now. That explains alot, so my motor was swapped out with a 72 model 307. Well i guess 350 it is. Maybe ill just sell this motor. it was just rebuilt. Does anyone know how much a 350 turbo trans can hold (guess its stock, no shift kit as far as i can tell)? This is my first project car dont know much about this stuff, trying to learn as I go.

Rank 06-22-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowgray396 (Post 12478)
307 was the base engine, no ss every came with it. It also looks like welcome to the site is in order since that was your first post.

1971-72 saw the z25 ss equipment option (396 engine) dropped and only the rpo z15 ss equipment option remained. However, the new rpo z15 ss equipment option did not include a specific engine size as it had in 1970. Rather, it became more of a dress-up option and could be ordered with any optional v8 engine and optional transmission; meaning either of the two 350 cubic inch engines, the 402 cubic inch engine or the 454 cubic inch engine could be ordered with the rpo z15 ss equipment option. Only the lone remaining 454 engine (rpo ls5) required the ss option to be ordered while the two 350 cubic inch engines and the 402 could be ordered with or without the ss option. The rpo z15 ss equipment option remained essentially the same for 1972.

Ray

10-4 ! Lol

Hank70SS 06-23-2010 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 136ED (Post 12481)
Thank you for the welcome!!!
Oh i see now. That explains alot, so my motor was swapped out with a 72 model 307. Well i guess 350 it is. Maybe ill just sell this motor. it was just rebuilt. Does anyone know how much a 350 turbo trans can hold (guess its stock, no shift kit as far as i can tell)? This is my first project car dont know much about this stuff, trying to learn as I go.

Check this other post on the TH350, last reply.

http://www.chevelleforum.net/showthread.php?t=773

Highway Star 06-23-2010 09:11 AM

Welcome to the site....

It will be tough to get any significant amount of $ for the 307. Maybe a corner of the garage is a good place for it, to keep as a spare. Does the VIN stamp on the top front pass side of the block match the VIN of your '72? Right in front of where the head mates to the block deck there is a pad on the deck. It has some numbers stamped in it, and they match the vehicle the engine was originally bolted to.

You either have an impoSSter, or an engine swap from something bigger to the 307.

There is really no way of verifying if a '72 is an SS without original dealer/manufacturer documentation...unless the car was a W code (VIN engine designation) 454.

Do you have:
boxed lower control arms
rear sway bar
SS dash
SS steering wheel

136ED 06-24-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highway Star (Post 12506)
Welcome to the site....

It will be tough to get any significant amount of $ for the 307. Maybe a corner of the garage is a good place for it, to keep as a spare. Does the VIN stamp on the top front pass side of the block match the VIN of your '72? Right in front of where the head mates to the block deck there is a pad on the deck. It has some numbers stamped in it, and they match the vehicle the engine was originally bolted to.

You either have an impoSSter, or an engine swap from something bigger to the 307.

There is really no way of verifying if a '72 is an SS without original dealer/manufacturer documentation...unless the car was a W code (VIN engine designation) 454.

Do you have:
boxed lower control arms
rear sway bar
SS dash
SS steering wheel

it was an engine swap i broke down the vin, was supposed to have a 350. im going to check for the rest of the stuff. yes on the steering wheel for sure. the dude i got it from just threw the dash in. didnt even bolt it down, it isnt the ss dash, oh and when he replaced the floor he covered up the hole for the shifter. Thats OK. i just got my hands on a 350 for her

Derek69SS 06-24-2010 11:28 AM

307s have no real value, even if they're original... yank it out and don't look back :cool: