ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle Introductions
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 01-19-2021, 08:15 PM

Default It only took me 40 years....

I’m just starting my project, so I thought I would introduce myself.

My very first car in high school was a 1970 Chevelle. I bought it when I was 17 and sold it when I was 19. Well, I’m now 59 and I bought a 1972 Chevelle from a family member in Chicago who has had it in their garage since 1976. It got driven occasionally. It’s a non-SS Turbo350 307 car. Great thing is, it only has 52,000 original miles on it. I have the entire history of this car except for the first 9000 miles when it belonged to an older couple that traded it in after owning it for 4 years.

The car is actually in pretty decent shape. The body is already off the frame and we are currently going over the frame looking for any problems. There is a bit of rust on the frame just behind the driver side front wheel, but it doesn’t look like anything that can’t be dealt with. It’s going to need a new trunk pan insert, but other than that, very minimal rust for a Chicago car.

The plan for now… Which I’m sure will change, is to do a nice clean drivable restomod. It’s getting a 495hp LS3 crate motor, 4L80E transmission, Ford 9” rear end, coil overs front and back and 4 wheel disc brakes. It was originally a bench seat car. So, that is coming out and it’s getting buckets, center console with floor shifter, SS Dash with Dakota digital gauges.

I know I have a long road ahead of me and I’m sure I will have a million questions. Seems like I am in the right place.

Hope I don’t ask too many stupid questions and annoy people.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2021, 08:24 PM

Here’s the car when it showed up from Chicago

Click image for larger version

Name:	EA9ECD37-E502-4682-A66A-0CD56EA2F72B.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	4687
Old 01-19-2021, 09:40 PM

Your story is very similar ...first post for me on this forum been lurking for some time lot's of information to read up on.. looking in that mirror seems like I'm 16 but the reflection doesn't lie...40 some year's later my highschool car is coming out of storage ...Dad said I couldn't afford it but all that life has thrown at me .. Wife.. kid's two boys no less.. through college..l have somehow been able to keep my hands on the car almost as much as my wife..your car looks great..your story made me feel I was looking in that mirror...will try some pictures of my car 71 Chevelle convertible but should probably say hello to all first.. are you sure it's been 40 some year's....
Old 01-20-2021, 11:36 AM

Welcome to both of you. Keep posting your progress pics.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:00 AM

Welcome, looks very well cared for.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:32 AM

Welcome, car looks pretty darn good.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle