ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 01-20-2021, 12:55 PM

Default Speedtech 68-72 frame brace kit

Since the body is off the frame on my 72, the plan is to do some frame stiffening and reinforcements. Has anybody used the Speedtech frame brace kit?

If so, I have a couple questions.

1) were you happy with the kit and did you like the final results?
2) here’s my biggest question… This frame brace kit has 4 additional mounting tabs (in addition to all the normal body mounting pucks) that bolt directly to the sheet metal body. Two are behind the transmission crossmember and the other two are above the rear diff. Here’s my concern… Those are metal tabs bolted directly to the sheet-metal body. I’m concerned about noise/harmonics being transmitted into the car. Does anybody have any experience or opinions on this?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2021, 11:46 PM

I don’t think I would have gone with the full Speedtech kit but I wished I would have boxed my frame. I think most of the added strength is in the boxing. Certainly good enough for my daily street use.

I too would be concerned about NVH from bolting through panels that weren’t designed for it. Also vibration eventually tearing the metal. Have you asked Speedtech about that?

The pre-bent frame boxing kits are supposed to be pretty reasonable. How much is the full Speedtech kit running these days?
Old 01-21-2021, 12:37 AM

I did ask Speedtech and they said it shouldn’t be an issue. Lets face it, they also want to sell frame brace kits. So, who knows. My opinion is, it will probably transfer noise/vibration to the body of the car (this is of course my non engineer/fabricator opinion) It’s also very possible I don’t know what the heck I’m talking about. There’s also no reason I couldn’t cut the tabs off, grind them flat and when the whole frame gets powder coated, nobody will even remember they were there.

I’m attaching a pic with the 4 tabs circled in yellow.

The kit is $750 ish

Click image for larger version

Name:	813681A5-131A-4B93-A812-3C68D3888F6C.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	4695
Old 01-21-2021, 09:02 AM

I boxed my frame when i had it apart...made a big difference.
Just be aware that the cross member will need to be modified.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:07 AM

Yeah, I always figured that was the case. Nice thing about the frame brace kit is… It includes a fully adjustable transmission crossmember. Which is nice since I’m doing an LS3/4L80E swap.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:05 AM

The kit seems to be priced well. Less than I would have thought.
I see that Art Morrison offers “Johnny Joints” as an option on their chassis specifically to combat NVH.
At this point in my life, a smooth quiet ride is as important as the performance.