ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 09-15-2011, 11:11 PM

Default Anybody try a Gear Vendor under/overdrive kit??

As most of you know I have been thinking about changing my TH400 out for a 4 speed automatic or a 6 speed manual. Since I just put in the new TH400 over the summer and it only has about 400 miles on it I'm thinking about just putting a Gear Vendor kit on it. They're suppose to handle alot of HP and drop my cruising speed down my 28%. Final drive would be .78.

Does anybody have any experience with these? Pros/Cons? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 PM

Your move doesnt make economic sense to me for one thing. And with the availibility of 200r's and 700r's seems a simple trans swap would be the best approach.

Check the price on a gearvendor and you might be shocked. The design is great for a motor home but, in my mind, to many better options for a passenger car.

Their main offices are located in El Cajon, CA .... ironically my dad owned that property about 35 years ago.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! Economic sense? Owning a 43 yr old car that sits in the garage 80% of the year doesn't make economic sense. At 2600 bucks it is a tad expensive. A new 2004r built the way I want is $1,995 plus $760 for gear set upgrade at Extreme Automatics. A new converter is anywhere from 450-500. A good shifter will cost between 200-300. I'm already over the price of a GearVendor and haven't included shipping on anything. Of course these are prices for the good quality stuff not Jegs/Summit brand. With the Gear Vendor I can keep my shifter and converter but would have to shorten the driveshaft. Would also have to shorten driveshaft for 2004r. Not sure on how much that would cost since I would have it done professionally. Now the good part about going to a new transmission is that I could get back some of the money by selling the new TH400. But not sure I could get enough back to offset the price difference to save money. I don't even want to start on what a 6 speed would cost. Also I would be doing the labor myself. So labor costs would not be an issue. Decisions, decisions. lol

Just trying to look outside of the box at different options.

Has anybody ever drove a car that has one of these? I see nothing but positive reviews everywhere I've researched so far. Anything from 8 second 1/4 mile drag cars to diesel trucks. These are also suppose to decrease the RPM drop between gears.

Thanks

Last edited by 68ChevelleSS; 09-16-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:02 AM

You seem to be talking yerself into the answer you want to hear ... so dont forget to minus the bucks for saleing the th400 and ADD the cost of dicking with the driveshaft .... have you considered putting in a brownie transmission out of a peterbilt! LOL

My point is the 700r is the desired choice by many for a reason and as far as the economics of letting your car sit in the garage, have peace of mind that it will only go down in value due to circumstances out of your control ... or down with bad decisions.

Your on the right track by asking question before deciding.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:00 AM

Did you read the entire post? I talked about selling the TH400 and shortening the driveshaft. Driveshaft would have to be shortened on either transmission. A 2004R ismuch stronger and durable than a 700r. 700r4 is not even being considered at this point. Yes I could put a transmission in my car that will not hold up to the power I'm already putting down or the power that I will put down in the future. Why not just buy once??? Buying twice would not make economic sense would it??

I have not talked myself into a Gear Vendor. I am simply trying to get input from someone that has actually used it. Not somebody that automatically doesn't like it just because its not the normal thing to do. Everybody runs 700rs or manual transmissions. Does that mean they're the best option out there?? Have you personally tried one? If not then why jump to conclusions?

As far as it sitting in my garage and the value: Its only an Investment if I plan on selling it. Also i would never get out of it what I have in it. So NO it does not make economic sense to own it. Especially since I spend more than half of every year as a civilian deployed to Afghanistan.

Below is a estimate on each application. Minus SHIPPING and applicable taxes.

Gear Vendor: 2595 before Shipping and tax. Bolts to the rear of my existing Transmission so would be much less than having a Complete Transmission Shipped.
Converter: Keep the one I have.
Shifter: Keep the one I have.
Driveshaft: Need to shorten. Not sure what the price is. So lets just go on the high side and estimate $250.
Install Labor: Zero...will be doing it myself.
Total Estimate before shipping and tax: $2845

EA Stage 2 2004R: $1995 before shipping and tax
.67 Final drive upgrade: $760
Converter: TCI Streetfighter from JEGS website: $516 before shipping and tax
Shifter: B&M Megashifter from JEGS website: $215
Driveshaft: Same as above estimate: $250
Sell TH400: $1339 new. Sell used possibly $800-$1000???
Total Selling Trans for $1,000: $2736 Total Selling trans for $800: $2936

Keep in mind shipping will be much higher for this application over the Gear Vendor because of shipping a complete Transmission, Converter and shifter.

As you can see by the estimates that the Gear Vendor and the 2004r would be extremely close in price. As you can see I have done my homework on both applications. Hence the reason why I came to this FORUM and asked questions.

Extreme Automatic Link: http://www.extremeautomatics.com/tra...ons/2004r.html

Gear Vendor Link: http://www.gearvendors.com/

Jegs Link: http://www.jegs.com/

Last edited by 68ChevelleSS; 09-18-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:25 AM

Just went through and figured up all shipping and handling.

Gear Vendor: $55.00 to the door.

EA Stage 2: $150 freight to the door. Jegs: 13.99 for handling.

So the total estimate for each application would be:

Gear Vendor: $2845 + 55.00= $2900

2004R: $800 for used transmission: $2936 + $150.00 + 13.99= $3099.99
$1000 for used TH400: $2736 + 150.00 + 13.99= $2899.99

Not much difference.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

Boyd,

A friend of mine has Gear Vendors for sale that was in his 69 540 dart motor Chevelle that has only been used one season and he has the drive shaft as well. I think he is asking $1500, I can attest to this guys that he is a stand up guy and is honest. Everything he does is first class.

I shipped a T-10 from Michigan to Florida for $90 so that should give you a idea on shipping. Let me know if you want his number.

Ric