ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 09-23-2011, 01:26 PM

Maybe a radiator cap.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:57 PM

I'd flip over backwards if thats all it was. Has that happened to you before? It will happen at idle in Park. As soon as you put it in gear it goes away. It will also happen while driving it seems above 20 mph or around 2000 rpm. driving me nuts. Thanks. Its worth a shot!!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 PM

What kind of camshaft do you run in your motor ?? Something tells me it's a roller.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:00 PM

Its not a roller motor. If I drive it then let it sit and idle it will squeak if I put it in gear it will stop squeaking until I drive it again. I slid the converter back a little bit and fired it up again and it still did it. I looked at the flywheel and couldn't see any obvious cracks. Alot of my buddies were thinking it might be flywheel. When I get back home in December I'm going to pull the flywheel all the way off so I can inspect it. I really don't know what else to think. harmonic balancer maybe??? The motor is a Golens 383 Crate Motor and has roughly 3000 miles on it. I'm pretty sure its not a bearing because i've put a stethoscope on the oil pan and its definitely not there. Thanks for the input !!!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:04 AM

It would be nice too see some pics with the hood open....to add imiges or files , after you click the "post reply" icon scroll down a little further to "manage attachments",click one of the "browse" icons and then choose your media location (Documents,pictures,etc...),choose your item and "upload" it..... It's actually pretty easy

When you here this noise I would assume the hood is in the "down" position most of the time ?? Latched and shut ??

I guess what I'm asking is,, have you ever heard the noise while sitting at an idle (or revving) with the hood open ???
Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM

I have pictures under my album. Its the yellow 68. It makes the noise whether the hood is open or closed. Its something definitely drivetrain related because the last day I was home and driving it while it was making the noise. I shut the motor off and let it coast and the noise went away. If I was back home i would upload a video of how it sounds.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 PM

I know it kind of sounds like oddball questions,but I'm just ruling out things that I've experienced over time ....very strange what you have here and ya' know, it's probably the simplest thing too ??. Make a short vid and crank the volume when you get the chance.....
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 PM

Will do. I really appreciate the help. It will be winter when I get home so I will tear it apart and find it for sure.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 PM

and you're right! It probably is the simplest thing. lol
Old 12-29-2011, 04:26 PM

well guys I finally got rid of the squeak!!!! My brother was down a couple weekends ago and we were out in the garage looking at the car and he looks down at the PCV Valve and asks me if I had checked that yet. i said yes it seems fine. He proceeded to tell me some long story about how the hose between the carb and pcv valve can close once it gets hot. So i basically shook it off thinking ya right there is no way its that. LOL. So today i decided to pull it off and capped the carb and put a breather on the valve cover. I figured it looked a lot better anyway and didn't cost much at all. it was 60 degrees outside so i decided to take her out and see if it worked. I put about 40 miles on it and still no SQUEAK!!!! i figured it was something simple but not that dang easy. A lot of lost sleep and wasted energy on it. Thanks for all of the input over the past 6 months!!