ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 03-17-2012, 08:16 PM

Question Motor @ Garage Sale

Ok so today I did something I normally dont do & it paid off. My wife talked me into going junking (Garage Sale)with her. The 2nd home we went to, I noticed this massive garage. Like most car guys & girls would, I drifted to it while my wife talked to the lady having it. 1st glance I noticed a engine stand with a big block on it but no car was around? I walked back to the home owner & said nice garage. She replied it's my husbands sanctuary. I asked if he had older cars & she said yes but it was hit recently & was being repaired. About 15 minutes later he pulled up & I instantly sparked a conversation with him. He went on to tell me he had a 68 Nova SS & told me about it & of course I listened. I then asked him about the engine on the stand & he said it was a standard bore 396 & that he'd been meaning to put it on Craigslist but hadn't had time to get around to it. I asked how much & he said make him a offer. I didn't want to insult him so I asked what's a fair price. He said he just wanted it out the way & would take $200 for it. I looked the block over & saw no flaws, just some minor rust in the cylinders from sitting as any block would. After getting all the parts home I began running numbers & it's a 69 396. The heads are bare but descent oval ports but my concern is the crank. It has gm casting number 904815 on it " I beleive"but I can't seem to find any info about it. Any suggestions of what crank this is? Either way I'm in no position to complain because he only lives 2 blocks over & said he assures me it's a good motor & if the machine shop finds any flaws other than dust & minor rust he'll take care of me cause he wants to remain a good neighbor :/ lol. I'm just curious of the numbers on this crank?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to SS Shaun

great find man! good luck with it
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 AM

Thanks Saun
Old 03-18-2012, 10:39 AM

I find lots of good stuff at garage sales including car parts ,heck thats where I bought my 72 El Camino SS several years ago.

John
Old 03-18-2012, 02:40 PM

I'll jump in the car every time she offers now lol.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:41 PM

Score! I think you left out a # on that crank. I found limited info for a 3904815 crankshaft. It is listed as a crank for 396, 402, 366T, and 427T applications. It is cast, not forged. And listed for 70' - 75'. HTH
Old 03-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Bowtie Member

Years ago David found his Jeep Commando at a garage sale. It was buried in 6 inches of mud. He talked the little old lady into selling it. And he did a LOT of work to it. Unfortunately he had to sell it last year, he just couldn't drive it anymore. To this day my sons blame me for "making dad" sell his Jeep. Even though I didn't have anything to do with David's decision to sell, the kids thought that we used the money for my car, which we didn't.

Here are a couple pics, after a lot of work, of our garage sale find.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 03-18-2012, 05:47 PM

Thanks carpoor & the numbers are almost impossible to read so most likely I did leave out a #. I just wanted to make sure it would fit since it was out of the block. The block is a 69 according to the casting. Maybe it was pieced together with spare parts @ one point. Oh & I left out its a 2 bolt main. I'm not drag racing so it will be fine. Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Wow Nancy. That's what I call a nice jeep
Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Bowtie Member

Thanks...I am sorry that we sold it. We didn't have to, but grumpy said that it was hard on him seeing it sit there and not being able to drive it. It was a blast to drive, but there was not enough time for me to drive the Jeep and my car.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org